Connect with us

Sports

Record smasher; African player breaks record after playing 6 hours of non-stop tennis action

Published

on

South african tennis player, Kevin Anderson has set a new record, after winning the second-longest match in Wimbledon(London) history by outflowing American John Isner to reach the men’s singles final.

They fought it out on Centre Court for six hours and 35 minutes before the eighth seed south African powerhouse came through 7-6 (8-6) 6-7 (5-7) 6-7 (9-11) 6-4 26-24.
The final set alone lasted for two hours and 50 minutes.

Anderson, 32, will face either Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic in Sunday’s final.
Djokovic was leading two sets to one when play was suspended at 23:02 gmt on Centre Court under the roof lights.

The Isner v Anderson match broke the previous record for the longest semi-final at SW19(Wimbledon), when Djokovic(Novak) needed four hours and 44 minutes to beat argentine Juan Martin del Potro in 2013.

It is the third-longest match in tennis history, falling short of the 11 hours and five minutes that it took for american Isner to beat France’s Nicolas Mahut 70-68 in the fifth set in their first-round match at Wimbledon in 2010.

The match was also just a little shorter than a Davis Cup first-round match between Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer and Brazil’s Joao Souza, which went on for six hours and 43 minutes in 2015.
Anderson, who was runner-up to the great Spaniard Nadal in last year’s US Open final, becomes the first South African(African) man to reach the Wimbledon decider(finals) since Brian Norton in 1921.

He finally dispatched the 33-year-old American in the 49th game of the decider after coming close in a couple of earlier games and looked impassive as he held his nerve to secure history & victory, can he go all the way in Sunday’s finals??

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sports

Paul Pogba acquires N100 million car as he welcomes new baby

Published

on

Manchester United central midfielder, Paul Pogba, was seen arriving at the Carrington training ground in a brand new yellow Ferrari worth £250,000(over N100,000 million) 

The footballer was said to have welcomed a new baby with his partner, Maria Salaues, according to Manchester United legend, Bryan Robson who said:

“When I saw Paul last week in Dubai with the United squad, I had a little chat and congratulated him on the birth of his baby. He just seemed so relaxed and easy with things.”

The World Cup winner is known for arriving at the training ground with different rides from his fleet of cars. 

According to Manchester Evening News, a source said: “I reckon it must be a new car as I’ve never seen him in that before.

“He normally drives a black Rolls Royce.”

See Photos below  READNigerian footballer slumps, dies while warming up for match

Continue Reading

Sports

Reports:PSG to hijack Barcelona deal for star midfielder

Published

on

By

French football club paris st germain are reportedly set to hijack Barcelona deal for Ajax starlet frenkie de jong.

The Ajax midfielder was set to sign for the catalan club, but psg have now logged a late bid in the eleventh hour.

It is understood that The 21-year-old’s Dutch agent, who is due in Paris at the end of next week, has reached an agreement with the Ligue 1 champions’ board over a 5-year contract worth €8m a year.

Although Barcelona are still in the hunt for De Jong, the Catalan club’s Sporting Director Eric Abidal has a difficult relationship with key agent Ali Dursun, because of the commission that the latter is seeking in an eventual deal.

Continue Reading

Sports

Phillipe Coutinho “one requirement” to sign for Manchester United.

Published

on

By

Philippe Coutinho’s possible move to Manchester United is the surprise saga of this January’s transfer window.

The former Liverpool man has fallen down the picking order and he is struggling for game time at Barcelona.

Coutinho’s problems were recently compounded when Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde called on him to improve his performances.

However, Coutinho isn’t keen on leaving Barcelona just yet.

That doesn’t mean he is against the idea of joining Manchester united. But he has one condition which must be met.

Sources close to the Brazilian understand that Coutinho would want to be given time to try and make things work at Barcelona.

In other words, he wants his decision to stay at Barcelona to be respected by other clubs before he decides for certain to leave Spain.

However United will have to come up with a Huge Bid if he decides to leave in the summer.

This means that a move to United in January is simply off the cards.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated with your desired content!

Newsletter categories

More stories