The United States Drug Enforcement Administration had aided the agency in the cocaine bust from a warehouse in the Ikorodu area of Lagos last week.
Femi Babafemi, spokesman for the agency, in a statement on Tuesday, said the agency sought and obtained an order of the Federal High Court in Lagos for the “public destruction of the consignment” which is the largest in the agency’s history.
Recommended for you
The NDLEA Director, Prosecution and Legal Services, Deputy Commander General of Narcotics (DCGN), Sunday Joseph who represented the Chairman of the agency, Buba Marwa, said out of the 1.8 tons of seized cocaine, 1,828 blocks will be crushed and burnt.
However, he said the rest will be secured for the purpose of litigation against the suspects who witnessed the procedure and signed the certificate of destruction.
“The Agency is proceeding with the prosecution of those arrested in connection with this consignment. On this, the public can rest assured that NDLEA shall pursue the trial to a logical conclusion.
“Since January 25, 2021, when we commenced our offensive action against drug traffickers, the agency has secured record convictions. Presently, 2, 904 drug offenders are serving various jail terms, while other cases are ongoing in court, which we are confident will end in positive results too,” he said.
Watch video below
VIDEO: NDLEA sets ablaze 1.8 tons of cocaine recovered from a warehouse in Ikorodu area of Lagos today, Tuesday 27th September 2022. pic.twitter.com/xYGUMMZAS7
— NDLEA NIGERIA (@ndlea_nigeria) September 27, 2022