Macky Sall, president of Senegal, has announced a postponement of the February 25 presidential election.
Sall made the announcement on Saturday during a national broadcast wherein he also called for dialogue with stakeholders.
“I will initiate an open national dialogue to bring together the conditions for a free, transparent and inclusive election in a peaceful and reconciled Senegal,” Sall said.
Recommended for you
Sall has been president of Senegal since 2012 and recently announced that he would not be seeking a third term.
The Senegalese 2021 constitution only allows a president to serve for five years and is limited to two terms.
The president, who had previously hinted at a third term as granted by the constitutional council, recently decided to step down and announced Amadou Ba, prime minister, as his preferred successor.
He reiterated on Saturday that he would not be seeking a third term.
“As for me, my solemn commitment not to run for the presidential election remains unchanged,” Sall said.
Some civil society organisations had expressed concerns on issues relating to the electoral process.